Steps to a Move
Prior preparation makes your moving day go smoothly. While every move is unique, this step-by-step guide will assist you in the moving process. Our Golden Services team is here to make your move easy, call us today for a free estimate. 1.888.853.2353
8-12 weeks before you move
- Establish your preferred moving dates.
- Research your new community, find schools, and purchase or reserve your new home.
- Determine if your employer has a relocation package, if applicable.
6-8 weeks before your move
- Obtain estimates for your move.
- Determine the level of service you will need from your mover:
- Will you pack your belongings or have them professionally packed?
- Will short-term storage be needed between locations?
- Will long-term storage be needed, if you are downsizing or going overseas?
- Choose a moving company within 6 weeks of your move and notify them of your selection. Your mover will provide you with a moving plan detailing pertinent dates and financial obligations.
- Finalize real estate or rental needs.
- Work with your children’s current and new school to facilitate records transfer and classroom placement.
- Collect medical records for each family member. Ask for recommendations for doctors in your new community from doctors and friends.
- Review your belongings, now is a perfect time to donate or sell anything you don’t need. Remember to look in your attic, basement, storage shed, and garages.
- Use up perishable and hard to move items such as: food, cleaning supplies, bulk items like paper towel and napkins.
- Donate any non-perishable items you wish to not move. Golden Services is pleased to partner with the Move for Hunger foundation and will deliver your donations to the Salvation Army.
- Make a list of people to notify of your move including: friends, family, magazine subscriptions, creditors, and doctors.
- Inventory the items you plan to move, determining replacement values for insurance purposes.
3-4 weeks before your move
- Arrange payment or deposit for moving company (timing of this is determined by your contract).
- Arrange for childcare during moving day, and a few days leading up to moving day.
- Notify utilities (cable, phone, electricity, etc.) of your service shutoff or transfer of ownership date.
- Contact your insurance provider, update contact information and coverage changes for your car, health, and homeowner / renter insurance policies.
- Make travel arrangements. If traveling via air, give yourself 1-2 days cushion to handle unexpected events.
- Purchase moving supplies, if packing yourself.
- Begin packing items you will not need day to day.
2 weeks before your move
- If you are driving to your new home, ensure your car is in good working order for a safe drive.
- Cancel or update your address with your local merchants:
- Settle outstanding bills
- Milk, vegetable, and other delivery services
- Dry cleaners
- Empty safe deposit boxes
- Return library books and video rentals
- Transfer any current prescriptions to a pharmacy near your new home.
- If moving a lawn mower, edger or other power tools, drain the oil and gasoline prior to move.
- Complete change of address forms at the post office or online.
- Send change of address notifications to magazines, creditors, friends and family, alumni groups, and banks.
- Review the “Hazardous Items List” dispose of these appropriately for your community.
- Update your address with your employer.
- Clean area rugs and have them packed for moving.
- Arrange for cleaning service or set aside cleaning supplies for post-move house cleaning.
1 week before
- Provide contact phone numbers to your moving agent that will be used during the move.
- Finish packing boxes.
- Do a pre-move kitchen clean: empty and clean refrigerator and freezer, clean oven and stove, wipe out any empty cabinets.
- Confirm any travel arrangements.
- Separate the belongings you need daily or plan to move yourself (toiletries, clothes, jewelry, and important financial records and documents) from the belongings to be packed and moved by the moving company.
- Pack a “first-night” box: a box with everything you will need your first night in your new home. Linens, pillows, special love-ies for the kids.
Your Moving Day
- Keep children and pets safe by having them cared for outside of your home during the move.
- Review with the mover the inventories and condition reports.
- Read both sides of the bill of lading and inventory list, verify address and phone numbers, sign it. Keep your copy in a safe place.
- When the truck is loaded, take a final tour of your home, making sure nothing is left behind. Double check closets, basement, attic, drawers, etc.
- Lock windows, turn off lights and close the doors.
Considerations for moving your family pet:
6-8 weeks out:
- Arrange for pet transport services, if necessary.
3-4 weeks out:
- Collect your pet’s vet records and make sure their immunizations are current.
- Check that they are current on their flea medication.
- Arrange for pet setting services or a doggie/kitty daycare.